Nov 8, 2009

The Istanbul List

When I lived in Korea I wrote a Day in the Life blog about a typical 24 hours in the expat life. Since I love me some lists, I thought I'd give'r another go. Here's my version of Istanbul, by numbers.


Number of minarets (tall, turret-like spires) on your average Istanbul mosque: 2


Number of minarets I count on my morning commute in a bored car game played with myself : 28


Hours spent on a daily commute: 1.5


Celebrities I resemble physically, according to my students: Robin from How I Met Your Mother, Hannah Montana, pre-pubescent Hermione from the Harry Potter films


Cups of tea consumed: 2


Cups of tea consumed by an average Turk: 5, apparently!


Variations on the command "be quiet" that I've learned in Turkish: 3 (ranging from pleading to crass)


Variations that I've used in the classroom: 3 (the crass one was an accident)


Portions of white carbs in the school cafeteria lunch: 3


English songs that are the object of my students' obsession: two this week; Aqua's Barbie Girl and Black Eyed Peas' I Gotta Feeling


Number of days it took me to learn never to mention football in class: 2


Average duration of classwide cheering/booing when I mention a local football team: 30 seconds


Number of fruits I didn't expect to see in Turkey: 2; persimmon (I thought that was East Asian) and okra (I thought that was cajun!)


Best street food ever: baked potatoes the size of a rugby ball, stuffed with butter and salad


Number of Istanbul institutions named "Bum": 2; an electronics shop and a bakery. Hehehehe....


People on my street with whom I'm on a small-talk basis: 7


Number of Turkish words in my small-talk vocabulary: pitiful


Most underrated form of Turkish art: illuminated book bindings. Seriously. I'd hang them on my walls.


Preferred speed of taxi drivers: Formula 1


Number of cats in my apartment building's backyard: 7


Number of roosters: 1



1 comment:

  1. Sweet. You should submit this to the Traveler's Notebook: http://thetravelersnotebook.com/categroy/by-the-numbers/

    ReplyDelete